Saturday, March 24, 2012

My Big Fat Greek Hair

A girl and her hair...ahhh- the love hate we all have with our hair.  Its too curly, its too straight, its thinning, its changing colors, its not the color we wish we had....Sound familiar?  I have fought my hair for YEARS.  I have intentionally kept it jaw length or higher because my hair gets curlier the longer it gets- making it unpleasant to blow out and straighten on a daily basis.  I also have very dry hair and scalp so washing daily just isnt an option. I have tried brazilian blow outs, home treatments, permanent straighteners, serums, pomades, flat irons- all in the quest for that sleek straight style. 

So almost two years ago I made the decision that it was time.  Time for a change and for something a little more mommy and budget friendly.  I decided to grow out my hair.  (gasp)  I had waist length super crazy hair as a kid that was the envy of all my friends.  I on the other hand could NOT for the life of me figure out how to make my hair work for me.  Its soooo thick that when that long, it would take a full 18 hours to dry out naturally or over 30 minutes to blow out which begat straightening or curling with a curling iron.  I was fighting flakes, my ends split- I was a hot mess.  SO the decision to grow out my locks also started the research process to finding out how to handle my type of hair long without making me check into the loony bin.

I would google- how to grow out wavy hair.  How to handle dry scalp.  How to, how to, how to....for hours, days, weeks and months.  I made the decision that if I was going to grow this bad boy out- I was going to have to accept my hair for what it is- Super thick, super black, super wavy hair- and stop trying to fight against it.  I have NEVER been comfortable wearing my hair naturally.  I thought I looked a hot mess- because I did!  SO....I stumbled onto a method used primarily for my sisters of color who are making the transition from relaxed locks to natural flowing hair.  It was called the Curly Girl Method.  It is based on a book by the same name basically detailing everything NOT to do with natural hair.  Guess what- I was doing it ALL.  I was using regular shampoo, silicone based conditioners, slathering more silicone and artificial moisture on, blow drying to death and flattening it all out....or at least trying to.

So just out of pure curiosity and well.....desperation- I decided to give it a go.  I stopped shampooing, removed all "cones" from my hair and learned how to handle- or NOT handle my hair.  The result three months later?  I LOVE my hair.  No, really- I LOVE my hair.  My scalp is awesome, my ends feel good, it only takes me 5ish minutes to do my hair right out of the shower and it LOOKS good!  Its so funny to hear people that I haven't seen in a long time question how I got my hair to curl and then are shocked when I tell them its my natural hair.  Yes, it's bohemian looking- but everyone wants to have beachy waves anyway- and I have them!

It took me and my hair about 3 total weeks to be on a new hair care routine but even after week one of no shampoo- I knew I was onto something!  I have started doing the same thing to Sophie's hair and you can tell the difference- even in straight hair.  She doesn't get the night time nappy frizz, her hair detangles on its own and it is SHINY.  I still have between 8 and 10 inches left that I would like to grow out- so its going to take me some time- but Im not worried!  Im just going to do what I am doing and throwing out all shampoo for me!  I will have to post pictures along my quest to long hair.  I dont have a recent picture of my hair and Im in pj's and napped in make up- so Im not in the modeling mood right now.  Maybe tomorrow....or Tuesday.  Eh, we shall see.

Just a little addition- I was thinking about this post last night as I put my kids to bed.  Accepting things as they are and not fighting it for something I think is better has brought love and happiness into my life on so many other ways other than just hair.  I have found a genuine happy place in my life and within my own soul that I have never had before.  Wishing that things were different or that people were different or thinking that I am right in all circumstances did nothing for me but bring disappointment to my life.  Changing your expectations of people, circumstances and things is the secret to happiness- according to the book of Kristen.

No comments:

Post a Comment