Saturday, March 24, 2012

Day 1- Mommy Makeup

So those of you who don't already know...I am/was a freelance makeup artist.  I worked much more before I had babies.  I specialized in editorial vivid makeup but I have always done makeup for dances and weddings.  People always approach me asking what makeup is right for them and how to do your makeup.  I thought that I might do a little mini series on makeup for mommies.  What to splurge, what to save, great products that I recommend and common makeup techniques for a flawless day and fun looks for special occasions or heck- Tuesday! 

Let me preface all of this with the most common thing that I hear- "I could NEVER wear color.  I could NEVER pull of that look.  I am just not that brave."  BE FEARLESS!  Makeup is meant to be fun- don't take it too seriously!  Experiment!  Heck, go to Walmart in a new look if you need to dawn a new look around people and your insecure.  You know that at Walmart, no matter how crazy you feel like you look- you are FAR from the craziest thing there!  Take pictures, go on youtube, look through magazines and find looks that peak you interest and experiment until you are happy.  I think of makeup like playing dress up for adults.  It can reflect a mood, lift your mood, transform you into something different, express your personality or just make for some fun time that you take for yourself.

Today I am going to START.  This is going to be a multi post series.  Please, post questions, give opinions, suggest products!  This is going to be fun....

First off- I dont believe that it should cost a ton of cash to look stunning.  There are A LOT of things that you can get for pure fabulosity for a ridiculously cheap price.  There can be a lot of trial and error finding products that work for you but the good news is that there are a lot of online forums that you can turn to for great information.  Dont buy into the attitude that a more expensive product is superior.  In my days I have had the opportunity to try some really expensive brands some are AMAZING and some fall flat.  

If you want to visit stores like Sephora or Nordstrom for a makeup purchase, my advise is ALWAYS plan on making two trips.  Take the first trip to try the product out or to get a sample that you can use a couple of times.  Wait a couple of days and then if the product still stands out and something that you want to invest in it- then go for it.  This will also help in ensuring your skin doesn't react poorly.  I cant tell you how many times I have gone and tried a ton out, bought a ton and got home and either wasn't impressed with it or was so excited and overwhelmed that I bought things that really don't fit into my makeup repretoir.  (really- I dont know why on earth I bought neon orange lipstick)  Makeup is something that you invest in and you have for quite some time before its gone.  Make sure you are mindful of your purchases.

The biggest splurge that I suggest spending is on foundation.  I know, I know- I have a lot of people who say that they dont care to wear foundation.  I suggest foundation for a lot of reasons.  Primarily, I suggest foundation because it doesnt matter how amazing your eyeshadow is, if your skin is a hot mess- it wont shine through.  Second of all- it protects your skin from the elements.  A lot of people find that statement to be backwards but as long as you are removing your makeup every night, you are trapping all the crud on your foundation and washing it down the sink at night.  Third- I find that when women wear foundation, it forces them in a great skincare routine.  It also doesnt hurt that most foundations have sunscreen in them so you are getting a 2-fer.  And my favorite reason- it just makes an all around great base for your makeup to go on flawlessly and you look amazing.  

I always say splurge on an amazing medium coverage foundation.  That way, if you want lighter coverage in the summer you can mix it with moisturizer and if you want layered coverage you can build it up without a heavy or cakey feeling.  I also suggest enrolling reinforcements for selecting your new kick butt foundation.  Go to your place of choice, remove your makeup along your jawline and have a sales man or woman test it out on your face.  The back of your hand is NOT the same color or texture of your facial skin and that can make quite a big difference.  Knowing whether you are a yellow or pink undertone is really helpful too.  Mineral, liquid, cream- that all comes down to personal preference.  (I have all of them and powder too because they serve different purposes.)  My fave, fave, faves are (in no particular order) Bare Minerals, DermaBlend, Make Up For Ever HD and Mac Studio Tech and Studio Fix.  they are all in the range of $25-$40 but when you consider how long they last and the versatility....they are worth their weight in gold!  (ooohhh, I love gold)

No comments:

Post a Comment