Saturday, May 18, 2013

The Kristen Awards- Give good face!

THE KRISTEN AWARDS
GIVE GOOD FACE
I thought that it was about time that I tell you some of the products that I recommend to EVERYONE that asks.  Without hesitation- I repurchase all of these things over and over again.  I know a lot of these are not a shock if you follow my blog but I thought I would put them all together in one place!  Now because I don't want this to be like 20 pages long, I thought I would break it up into skincare, face, tools, eyes and lips.  Here are the Kristen Awards for face!


PRIMERS- I love me a good primer!  If you want your face to have extra staying power, the look of less pores and all around just look better- grab you a primer.  I have a couple to choose from in different price ranges to choose from.  As a note- I tend to favor non silicone primers.  I think that they sink into the skin better and wear better on a larger variety of skin types.  I will throw an honorable mention silicone primer in there on the end if that's what you are into :)

#1- Philosophy The Present- OK its not drugstore- its $20 bucks BUT its TWO ounces- which is over twice the size of just about any other primer I know.  Its spectacular- just let it dry for a SOLID 4-5 minutes before applying foundation- I cannot stress this enough.  This stuff aint coming off.  LOVE IT.

#2- Pixi Flawless and Poreless- I got a sample tube of this in my February ipsy.com bag and its become my fast grab everyday when- "I don't want to use my pricey stuff" go to primer.  It better for oily skin but it works decently at keeping under eye creasing to a minimum.  It is tinted but I would not consider it any sort of coverage.  If anything it dries to a blurry effect which is kind of cool if you are into minimal face products- like just concealer and powder.  You can pick this up at Target and is really great!

#3- Laura Gellar Spackle- This stuff is my new obsession primer.  Again- not drugstore but you can find it on the cheap on sites like Hautelook.com or even QVC!  I bought two 2 ounce bottles for $30!  I got one that was tinted champagne and has glitter and I got the original.  Far and away- the original is the one to pick up. 

Honorable Mention- for those who cannot live without the silicone primer- my favorite formula is by Palladio which is available at Sally Beauty Supply.  This stuff is MAJOR.  Its thick and silky.  If you like the Smashbox Photo Finnish Original- this is a pretty close duplicate at a fraction of the price.  

CONCEALER- Ah, how I love thee concealer   You fool everyone into thinking I have never had a breakout or a bad nights sleep.  There are a couple of different formulas that I would recommend for different places on the face.  Lets get into this!

Under- eye go bye- bye!
I have hereditary under eye discoloration.  Always have.  I fool everyone into thinking that I have slept well- and here are my picks for under eyes!

#1- Maybelline Instant Age Rewind Eraser Dark Circles Treatment Concealer.  Wow that's a mouthful.  I LOVE this stuff.  Honestly- I have seen this in the store a thousand times before and it always grossed me out.  I'm not into gimmicky packaging that has applicators built right in.  Ewe.  Just ewe.  Well I got recommended to try it out so I did during a bogo sale- so I got it for less than $4!  Let me tell you- WOW.  Seriously- wow.  I have fine lines that love to collect and hold onto concealer like crazy and this stuff is SO thin, so moisturizing and it doesn't crease- BUT its super pigmented!  I just put it on the back of my hand and use my fingers but I know people who put it right on there face and then blend out with their fingers and no one has died of infection.  J/K- in fact the sponge tip is anti microbial- so you wont get all nasty like I'm insinuating.  

#2- It Cosmetics Bye Bye Under Eye.  Again- not a drugstore brand but you can find them discounted and I heard QVC has some good bundle deals.  When I tried this stuff I was a little taken a-back.  This stuff is THICK.  Like super pasty thick and I was FREAKING out that it was going to look cakey.  Boy was I wrong.  You only need the insiest little bit and pat it on and it just melts into your skin!  OH!  Did I mention its water proof and crease resistant?  Uh yeah- totally worth it.

Spot or blemish concealer
I use a drier formula on spots than I do under my eyes.  Its a preference thing- I like the way it works for me and my peeps.  Do you need separate concealers  not necessarily  I just prefer it.  

#1- NYX Above and Beyond Full Coverage Concealer in a Jar.  This stuff is FANTASTIC.  Its a little jar of complexion perfection.  Whenever I get the occasional break out or if I have anything else like bug bites or scars, I go to this stuff.  Its ridiculously amazing.  Oh, and its a steal at under $10!

#2- Mehron ProColoRing- Not drugstore and actually a little tricky to find but if you find it- PICK IT UP.  It is the MOST PIGMENTED concealer hands down.  It also comes in a color wheel with 5 colors so you can contour, highlight and conceal to your hearts content with this thing.  Its the most all around versatile concealer product I own.

All Around winner- If you only want one heavy duty mama-jama The Hard Candy Glamoflauge is the one for you.  This is a tube of imperfection.  It is a HEAVY duty concealer and if you have fine lines- it can settle- so make sure to set really well with powder.  Other than that- this stuff is concealer HEAVEN.  Oh, and its $5 from Walmart!!!

BB CREAM-  If you feel the need to jump on the BB cream wagon- here are your best bets.  Two of which are from Asian companies found on sites like eBay or sasa.com, one from the drugstore the other Sephora.  Don't get too invested in BB creams if you are wanting tons of coverage.  I will go from my least favorite to the best one!

#4- Dr Brandt Flexitone BB cream.  This one is amazing if you have darker skin since 99% of BB creams are for lighter skin.  This is one that changes color to match your skin.  I really like it BUT its the priciest in the $30 price range and can be found at Sephora.

#3-Revlon Photo Ready BB cream- this is the ONLY drugstore BB cream that I like.  Its not as good as the others but the only drugstore find and its on the cheaper side of things.  I like it as a primer too- put it under your foundation for an extra perfect finish.

#2- Skin 79 Super Beblesh Balm (pink packaging)- I really like this one.  I REALLY like this one.  The only down side is trying to get your hands on it.  Sasa.com and eBay are the best bets.  If you want a really good coverage and most true to what a BB cream is supposed to be- this is a great choice.

#1- Skin Food Aloe Sun BB Cream- OK- disclaimer- this stuff smells like roses.  LIKE A LOT.  BUT- EVERY SINGLE TIME I wear this- people compliment my skin.  Not- oh, your makeup looks great, but WOW- you have the most perfect skin I have ever seen.  You cant tell that this is makeup which is why its my #1 choice.  Again- finding it can be a bit tricky but its one that I hunt down again and again.

Foundation- OK, I really need to find a support group for the foundation addiction I suffer from.  I have SO many foundations which makes me qualified to tell you all about them.  I feel like this category there will be no surprises though- I talk about these three ALL THE TIME.

#3- L'Oreal True Match- this one is the greatest if you are a hard to find color.  They come in three lines- cool, warm and neutral.  You WILL find your color- from lightest light to dark.  Its between a sheer to medium coverage with one coat with a stipple brush.  It can be built up or you can just use your fingers which is my favorite way with this foundation.  

#2- Urban Decay Naked Skin- This is NOT drugstore, you cant usually find this on the cheap but if you HATE the feeling of foundation but want to look flawless- this is your foundation.  This stuff feels like I have nothing at all on my face.  Seriously- I LOVE how light weight it is.  The coverage is a true medium with a stipple brush and I don't like to use my fingers because its so thin.  It is TOTALLY build-able too.  If you have any trouble spots that peek out after one coat- just pat on another.  You wont look cakey AT ALL and it covers!

#1- Not a shocker at all to anyone who knows me- Revlon Colorstay- there are two formulas- one for dry and one for oily and the color choices are pretty amazing.  This stuff is thick but I find I only need the littlest bit to make me look PERFECT.  If you want budge proof full on coverage- this is your bad boy.  I prefer a stipple brush and this is a medium to full coverage in one coat.  I wouldn't recommend building it up too heavily or you will get cakey.  This is my everyday go to foundation and its my special occasion or photo friendly foundation.  

Powder- If you want to make sure your shine free and that your foundation stays in place all day- powder your face!  The problem with powder?  The wrong kind of powder can really make things look heavy, cakey and well- powdery.  Here are my three favorite babies!

#3- L'Oreal True Match Powder- this stuff is great.  Going along with the color matching perfection that the True Match line- this stuff has an awesome color selection.  Its finely milled and really sets your face.  It gives a bit of coverage without being too pigmented.  

#2- Laura Geller Balance N Brighten- This is marketed as a baked mineral foundation.  I don't wear it on its own- but over a BB cream or some concealer- its FLAWLESS.  The most awesome thing?  It looks straight up like skin.  Its not drugstore- you gotta find it at Ulta and its worth every single penny- and it lasts FOREVER.

#1- Rimmel Stay Matte Powder- I tried this on a total whim.  I was at Target getting pissed of about the price of translucent setting powders and stumbled across this.  I'm so glad I did.  This stuff is AWESOME.  The powder is milled super fine so it absorbs in and sets your face perfectly.  It also has a range from translucent to dark.  Its $4 and I cant live without it!

And there you have it ladies and gents- the Kristen Awards for face products.  Proof that you can find AMAZING products at every price point and you don't have to refinance your house for a decent face look!  What are your holy grail products?

No comments:

Post a Comment